I really like to experiment with different textures and ingredients. I wanted to eat seafood so I came up with this delicious, and yes, spicy, seafood tier.
This is a great dish to cook for a small dinner party. It includes your protein, starch and green vegetable.
I used mustard oil to enrich the taste. Here are some health benefits of mustard oil;
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
- Stimulates digestion
- Reduces risk of cancer
Let’s start with ingredients you will need;
Spicy Seafood Sauce
- 2 tbsp of mustard oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of dried red chilies (do less for less a less spicy dish)
- 4 cloves
- 2 tbsp of basil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 small tomato
- 1 tbsp of diced garlic
- Fat free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of fresh baby scallops
- 1 cup of fresh calamari
Spinached Brown Rice
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 lemon slice
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- Brown basmati rice
- Fresh cut salmon
- Diced garlic
Now it’s time to begin the cooking!
1. Heat the mustard oil in a pot. When it is heated, add the diced onions. Toss it around so the oil is absorbed by the onions. 2. After a few minutes of sauteing, add the red chilies, cloves, basil and sea salt. Again, add the chilies and salt to your liking. Some like fire; others like hot. Cook the ingredients together. Have the onions come to a light brown. 3. While that is sauteing, cut your tomato. Once the onion mixture is browned, add the tomato and the garlic. Bring the heat up and start to mix the tomato in to a pasty texture.
4. Next is the fun part! Add the evaporated milk. Bring it to a boil. 5. Next we want to dilute the sauce with some water. I put less than 1/2 a cup. Stir the water in. Bring it to a boil. 6. While that is coming to a boil, bring a pot of water and butter to a boil. Add the cumin and lemon slice. Time to get ready for the rice. 7. While we wait for the water to boil, add the scallops and the calamari. Stir it in and cook it on a low-medium heat. Cover and cook it for 20 minutes.
8. Once the water for the rice comes to a boil, remove the lemon slice. Set it aside. Because I wanted this layer to be more spinach than rice, I added a good amount of spinach. Boil over a medium heat. 8. After a good two minutes, add the rice. Stir it in. Make sure it really mixes with the rice. Then add the lemon back in. Cook over medium heat. 9. You should should have the two pots cooking the goods. Next is to bake the salmon. I added garlic, butter and the salmon. Wrap it in foil and pop it in the oven. I set the oven at 400. I have that bake for about 20 minutes.
11. Now it’s time to start to build the tier. Start by taking a scoop of the spinached-brown rice.12. Next, layer the salmon ever-so-gently on top. 13. Because the spicy seafood sauce encompasses most of the flavor, be sure to be generous when pouring it on top of the salmon. Don’t be shy!
This dish came out wonderfully delicious. It is full of flavor and spice. Next time I make this dish, I will try not to be so heavy with the red chilies so Gabriella and Camille don’t need to chug an abundance of water! Enjoy!On aside:: It’s been awhile since I put up a song, but I love to listen to music when I cook. I was introduced to Banks a few months ago and she IS GREAT! It’s mellow but hip. She’s dark. She’s dope. She’s legit. This is one of my favorite jams. Take a listen!